Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Still Potty Training | Two & a Half Weeks Later

Toddler Potty

The word training sometimes feels synonymous with hard work, determination and frustration; especially when said training involves a toddler.  As you know, we started potty training in late December and although I was skeptical about 3-day potty training, I was willing to give it a try.

We didn't leave our house for five days, I washed countless pairs of 'big boy undies' and we kept our 'proud parent' hats on at all times.

So the moment of truth, is the boy potty trained?

Two and a half weeks, oodles of stickers, tic tacs and marshmallows later and the answer is still no.

Does he want to wear big boy undies? Yes.
Does he want to wear diapers? No.
Does he know he's supposed to pee in the potty?  Pretty sure that's a yes.
Does he want to sit on the potty? HECK no.

So what do we do?  We were making great strides, we were down to a totally manageable one accident a day when suddenly, as if a switch flipped, we were back to square one.  Refusal to sit on the potty, crying and screaming; literally all things no.

I'm fairly certain its a control thing and the truth is, he's right.  I can't make him sit on the potty and I certainly can't make him pee on command, but I'm also not sure where to go from here.  I've been offering him a diaper, reminding him to tell me when he has to pee and swooping him onto the potty when he does pee.  I've been giving ridiculous amounts of praise when he sits on the potty, even if its because I managed to get him there mid-stream.

But is that enough?  I'd let him wear diapers and lay off the training for a while if I thought that would help, but he's as adamant about not wearing diapers as he is about not sitting on the potty.

Honestly, its exhausting and I need a bit of inspiration.  I'd love to hear your suggestions on how to get through this particularly trying segment of potty training.