Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Looking for Equal at Walmart Canada | #Cbias #EqualCanada

Every dietary restriction has its challenges, I know first hand what it means to live a life without gluten and feed a child with sensitivities to gluten, dairy and soy.  Food is important to me and finding a way to eat the food I love regardless of dietary restrictions is not optional in my opinion.  My continued search for Equal Sweetener has really made me stop and  think about all the people that can't have sugar. Of course my thoughts immediately went to all the goodies that I could make with a canister of Equal, but that's just me.  My very good friend's husband is diabetic and she's lactose intolerant, so I'm definitely going to make them something tasty.
Walmart queensborough

My sister Kat
and I headed off to the Queensborough Walmart in New Westminster BC, which was recently expanded into a Supercentre with a complete grocery store.  On our last trip I spent so much time in the food we barely had a chance to look at the rest of the store.
welcome to walmart
As we shopped the grocery aisles I assumed that I would find the Equal with the sugar and baking supplies and when I didn't find it there, it took me a moment to remember to check the pharmacy, which is exactly where I found it.  The yellow Equal Canister I was looking for was on the middle shelf , but I found it kind of odd that the blue Equal products were on the bottom shelf with a different brand of sugar alternative on the shelf between the two.
Equal - yellow canister
Equal - blue packets and tablets
 The Equal yellow canister is their new sucralose sugar alternative and it can be substituted 1:1 for traditional sugar which makes baking adaptations easy.  The 275g canister  is equivalent to 5lbs of sugar and at a price of $7.97 it feels like a pretty good deal, particularly for a specialty item.  Although the yellow canister was on rollback price, only the blue Equal products were displaying rollback tags.
walmart mcdonalds

After a quick stroll through the clothing, we headed for the checkout.  We accidently ended up in the express lane; somehow we didn't see the sign that the central area of cashiers were all express.  Fortunately it wasn't very busy and our cashier was very gracious about the situation.

After our shop both Kat and I were feeling thirsty so we headed to the McDonalds for a smoothie, but were dissapointed they didn't have any.  We ended up grabbing some french fries and hitting the Starbucks drive through on the way home instead. walmart garbage and recycling

Although I had noticed them outside on the way in, the inside recycling and garbage cans were completely photoworthy and thus worth mentioning.  I love garbage cans that emphasize recycling and I think its great that Walmart is making an effort to help their customers, help them, reduce their waste.

Now I just have to find the perfect recipe, something gluten and dairy free that will travel easily from my home to my friends.

You can find #EqualCanada on the web, on Twitter and on Facebook and you can view the rest of my pictures from this trip on Flickr.

This shop has been compensated as part of a social shopper insights study for Collective Bias #Cbias however all opinions are my own.