Thursday, May 27, 2010

Milestones: walking

The boy is walking.  Not wobbling, walking.  He waited 14 months, but now that he's walking, he's all over it.  I remember his friend walking at 11 months, every step looked like a disaster waiting to happen.  Apparently with a couple extra months under his belt to steady himself, the boy was all over it.  My sister-in-law tells me that he walked my nephews all the way to school this week; granted its only a 5 minute trip, but still.

It's amazing how much older standing upright makes him seem.  Last week he was moving pretty quick, but I could still convince myself that he was a baby.  Now calling him, "my baby" just seems unrealistic.  He is a toddler now, my little boy is so big and independent.

I know its just one of many milestones that we will share together; even though I know there are so many more to come, I try to treasure each one as if it is the first.  Sometimes I wish that life could slow down, but I fear that wasting too much time savouring moments of the past, puts me at risk of missing the present.

That doesn't change the fact that I have moments, twinges even, when I'm sad that the boy doesn't need me in quite the same way anymore.  I know he will always need me, I know that how he needs me will naturally evolve over time and I know that when he needed me for everything it was tiring, frustrating and difficult, but I can't help myself. I still have moments where I miss being his everything.

Do you?

6 comments:

  1. How sweet. My daughter started walking about 14 months too. I know the twinge feeling about wanting to be their everything. Honey, it only gets worse. Once he masters this walking thing, he's going to want to start doing everything himself. In a way, it's nice, but you also start seeing them not needing you as much and that part sucks. :(

    -Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jen - its such a weird quandary we are in as mother's. Glad to hear its not just me.
    Amber :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for walking! Congrats! Your little one is now on the road to independence... you have sooooo many awesome things to look forward to from this point on!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Karen - sometimes its hard to believe it can get better, but he continues to amaze and astound me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My oldest was an early walker. My 3 year old didn't start walking until he was 18 months. One day he just got up and walked! Now my baby is almost a year old and nothing....not walking but log rolling and trying to crawl. They grow way too fast and it is kind of sad. It's exciting too though to see them accomplish new things everyday! Have fun and enjoy every moment :O)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tracy - everyone told me that every baby is different and that its important not to compare your child's development with other children, but sometimes its hard to restrain yourself. amber :)

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?