Sunday, September 2, 2012

The Litterless Lunch | Green Your Routine with Seventh Generation

The litterless lunch is an easy way to green your routine; its something I work on constantly, but I have to confess, sometimes I give in to the convenience of disposable.

This is week 1 of Green Your Routine with Seventh Generation and they've provided some numbers that are hard to ignore.

According to the stats, the average child throws away 66 pounds of lunch packaging waste a year, this might not sound like a lot, but when you think about the actual weight of disposable packaging, that's a pretty astounding number.

If the environmental costs don't sway you, the economics might. Litterless lunches are 35 perfect cheaper than their disposable counterparts; that number is based on an average price of $2.65 and $4.02 respectively.

Seventh Generation provides some pretty compelling arguments to commit to litterless lunches, and I promise, I'm going to try. My boys are fed lunch and snacks at daycare, but I send extra snacks for the baby to accommodate his dairy-free diet. I'm going to work on consistently sending snacks in containers rather than ziploc bags.

As for my own lunch, I tend to have problems with the lunch bag itself. I have tons of Tupperware containers (because Kat used to sell it) but they are a variety of sizes so I perpetually have problems fitting my entire lunch into one bag. I fixed that problem by buying a larger lunch bag, its actually a small cooler that can accommodate 9 cans, or in my case, a lunch.
Lunchbox Cloth Napkins
But my commitment, specific to this challenge is to start packing cloth napkins with my lunch (and sewing them too).

This inspiration came directly from a comment on my Green Your Routine introduction, thanks for the idea Bets. I'm so excited, I'm going to start sewing myself a set of lunchbox napkins now.

Do you litterless lunch? Will you be starting this September? What's your litterless lunch secret?

Don't forget to enter to WIN a Seventh Generation Cleaning Starter Kit.