Thursday, August 30, 2012

Dinner's on the table with VHSauces | Sweet & Sour Meatball Recipe | gluten-free, dairy-free, nut-free, soy-free


Did you know that some VH sauces that are gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free and nut-free?

They are not certified or labelled as such, but if you read the ingredients carefully there are a number of allergen friendly sauces, which also happen to be delicious, convenient and affordable. A rare treat for families with food allergies.


I was super excited about the opportunity to work with VHSauces via Collective Bias (#Cbias) and I spent some time browsing the VH Website and their multitude of recipe ideas, but in the end opted to share a tried and true favourite, gluten-free sweet and sour meatballs.

Since time always seems to be tight, I often run to the grocery store on my lunch break to grab a few items for dinner and this week was no different. I grabbed my co-worker, a summer student that's been a blast to have around, and headed over to Save-On-Foods to check out the selection of VH Sauces and pick up a couple boxes of coconut milk and some Daiya vegan cheese.


Although all the VH #DeliciousSauces were located in one aisle, they were not all in the same location.  I found some of the VH Sauces with the Indian cuisine and others located with the Asian cuisine.

In only five minutes I found a number of sauces that met our allergy needs (I read the labels EVERY time and so should you) and I didn't even take the time to read the Indian sauces as my husband doesn't care for curry flavours. I ended up buying the Sweet and Sour cooking sauce, the Teriyaki cooking sauce and the new Garlic Hoisin stir-fry sauce, which I can't wait to try.


But I digress, back to my sweet and sour meatballs. With only a little bit of prep the night before to make the meatballs, we had a sweet and tasty dinner on the table in about 15 minutes yesterday. A small, but important feat as my boys begin screaming for dinner if they aren't eating within 20 minutes of arriving home.

Quick, easy and delicious, I love the convenience of VH Sauces; they feel like a huge treat because I can so rarely find mainstream products that meet our dietary needs.

Check out photos of my entire experience with VH Sauces on Google + and keep reading for my recipe for simple homemade, gluten-free, dairy-free, nut-free, soy-free sweet and sour meatballs.

Check out VH on Twitter and Facebook.


Sweet & Sour Meatballs
(gluten-free, dairy-free, nut-free, soy-free)

Ingredients:

  • 1 lb ground beef
  • 1/4 lb ground pork
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tsp gluten-free italian seasoing
  • 1 tsp dried, minced onion
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • VH Sweet and Sour Cooking Sauce
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 375F and line a cookie sheet pan with parchment paper.
  2. In a medium bowl, mix together everything except the sweet and sour sauce.
  3. Use a tablespoon to create even sized meatballs.
  4. Bake for approximately 15 minutes, until the temperature reaches 160F. Do not overcook.
  5. You can proceed directly to the next step or allow the meatballs to cool then refrigerate until ready to use. 
  6. Empty VH Sweet and Sour Cooking Sauce into a medium saucepan and heat over medium-high heat.
  7. Add meatballs to the sauce and cook until warmed through.
  8. Enjoy, we like to eat ours with freshly cooked rice!
This shop has been compensated as part of a social shopper insights study for Collective Bias
however all opinions are my own. #CBias