Monday, February 27, 2012

The Lorax Movie Premiere | Presented by Seventh Generation

The Lorax
Before I was a mother and into my early days as a wife, I worked in Stewardship.  I spent my time working to preserve the environment by inspiring others to volunteer and work by my side to make a difference one small step at a time.  We removed invasive weeds, planted native vegetation, hung and cleaned bird houses, picked up garbage and educated others on the ways they too could make a difference.

Although we worked in all sorts of inclement weather, including dreary Vancouver rain and snow, each year I made a point of having an afternoon in to enjoy the original Lorax Movie and facilitate the important discussions that the movie always prompted.

When I heard there was going to be a new Lorax movie, I knew that I wanted, no needed, to see it.  So when Seventh Generation invited me to their green carpet premiere screening in North Vancouver, I jumped at the opportunity, despite the fact that the event was at a theatre more than 45 minutes from my home.

I have so many fond memories of going to the movie theatre with my Dad and he has been eagerly awaiting an opportunity to take the boy to a movie, so it was an obvious choice to invite him to join us at the screening.
Waiting to go into the Theatre

When we arrived, we knew we were in the right place, there were families lined up outside the theatre and we promptly joined the crowd.  Although it was windy, the line moved quickly and before we knew it we were inside being greeted by the Seventh Generation staff.
Seventh Generation
Popcorn and Bevvies My Dad loves popcorn, though his teeth (and his dentist) advise against it, so he keeps his consumption low.  He was planning to share a kids pack with the boy; imagine his delight when we were handed tickets for our full sized popcorn and beverage, all courtesy of Seventh Generation.

The boy has had plain air-popped popcorn once and in truth he wasn't much of a fan, but after all our talk of popcorn, he was excited to see what it was all about.  Turns out he loved movie theatre popcorn, he must have eaten close to half a bag.
I LIKE POPCORN

The Lorax was fabulous, they did a great job accurately incorporating the original story into a movie that younger generations can relate to.

Seventh Generation 4X Laundry DetergentAfter I left the theatre my drive to preserve the environment and find ways to make a difference was revitalized. Fortunately, our swag bag from the folks at Seventh Generation not only included their brand new 4X laundry detergent (in a fully compostable packaging), it also included a booklet full of great tips to green your lifestyle.

Here's some food for thought courtesy of Seventh Generation:
  • 75% of the electricity that powers home electronics is consumed when the products are turned off.  Unplug [them]...when you aren't using them.
  • If every home in Canada replaced one roll of virgin bleached toilet paper with recycled, we'd save almost 48,000 trees and prevent 4,500kg of air and water pollution.
  • Turn off the tap! Save about 11 litres of water by turning off the tap when you brush your teeth or wash your face.
  • On average, each Canadian uses a staggering 343 litres of water per day.
  • Keep a pitcher and some reusable bottles filled with water in the fridge. Why? The water helps maintain the cool temperature inside and allows your refrigerator to work more efficiently.
Although I no longer work in stewardship and motherhood is my number one job, the environment is still in the forefront of my being and my full-time job (that I will be returning to in only a few short months).  I may not be a magical forest creature like the Lorax, but each and every one of us has the power to drive change and make our planet a healthy place for generations to come.

"Unless someone like you care a whole awful lot, nothing's going to get better. It's not." -The Lorax