Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Quinoa Pancakes | Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free & Delicious

Back in August I shared my recipe for gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free Buckwheat Pancakes that were both delicious and fluffy.  I never would have thought I'd be the type of girl to have more than one type of pancakes on her blog, but I've found another fabulous pancake recipe that needed only a little tweaking to suit our families' dietary needs.

This recipe comes from the amazing, and ever-popular Quinoa 365: The Everyday Superfood book.  I bought this book in late 2010 and its already full of wrinkled pages, hand written notes and food splatters, all signs of affection in my kitchen.  

These pancakes are thin, but still fluffy in the middle and they get a lovely crispiness along the edges if you fry them in a little bit of oil (which I do).  These pancakes have a slightly nutty quinoa flavour, but they have the hubs seal of approval, so I urge you to try these with your picky eaters.  I often make a half batch, which makes enough pancakes for the three of us on a Sunday morning with a couple leftover for the boy to eat during the week.  Alternately, if I make a whole batch, I freeze the leftovers and we can easily have breakfast for dinner another day!

I've made only a few changes to the original recipe, first I've replaced cow or soy's milk with rice milk, second I decreased the quinoa flour to ensure a mild flavour and finally I added a little bit of flax seed for a nutritional boost (as if pancakes made from Quinoa isn't nutritious enough).
quinoa pancakes
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free & Soy-free Quinoa Pancakes
Adapated from Quinoa 365: The Everyday Superfood
by Patricia Green & Carolyn Hemming

Dry Ingredients:
  •  2 cups Quinoa Flour
  • 2/3 cup Brown Rice Flour
  • 2-3 Tbsp ground flaxseed
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 2 Tbsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp salt
Wet Ingredients:
  • 2.5 cups rice milk
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
Directions:
  1. In a medium bowl whisk together the dry ingredients.
  2. In a seperate bowl, mix together the liquid ingredients.  (A shaker cup intended for protein shakes works great).
  3. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix well.
  4. Drop batter by 1/4 cup onto a lightly oiled non-stick pan warmed over medium-high heat.
  5. When bubbles form on the pancake, flip and continue cooking and 30sec - 1 minute.
  6. Enjoy the deliciousness!