Thursday, August 19, 2010

Memories 11: Grade 9 / Age 14

Grade 9 was the year I changed from Pathfinders (Girl Guides) to Venturers (Boy Scouts).  I had been involved in Guiding since a very young age but by the time I was a teenager it was far too structured for my tastes.  It seems a drastic move, but my friend's cousin had an all girls Venturer group; both my best friend and I jumped ship.

It was awesome.

We did community service and participated in City-wide events, but what we really loved was the camping.  Throughout the year there is a number of huge Scouting events where groups from all over would get together and camp.  They were super fun events, one camp in particular always had beach volleyball nets set and would always have one big event like sumo wrestling suits or a climbing wall.  But, regardless of the other activities, every camp had a dance on the Saturday night.

There was a lot more boys than girls at these events and the dances were a great way to flirt (or attempt to flirt in my case) with a cute boy or two.  Meeting boys at camp was different than school, I never pretended to be someone other than myself, but at the same time, they never had to witness me in all my dorky glory.  Since we never lived in the same city, I didn't have to live every emotion of high school drama day in, day out; that was saved for the weekends; I liked the separation of these very different aspects of my life.

The earliest teenage years are by far some of the most difficult for a woman, or it was for me at least.  This is only one story, one experience.  From the ages of 13-16 there are so many more tales of discovery, of life and of love.  Unfortunately, like many others, in those years I spent far too much energy concerned with what others thought instead of focusing on discovering who I was, who I wanted to be and how to make the two visions meet, though I suspect the two will never overlap completely.

This is post 11/15 and is part of Mommy's Piggy Tales
Make sure you check out all the other great posts here!

Make sure you check out our current Giveaways...
Zoodles 3 Month Premium Membership

5 comments:

  1. We all ATTEMPTED to flirt at this age:)

    Wow maybe you can teach me how to camp the right way.Thanks for sharing.

    I agree I spent too much time trying to be who everyone else wanted me to be instead of finding out what I loved. I'm doing that now though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with your final paragraph! And what a fun camp. I had no idea girls could be in "boy" scouts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your last paragraph is So True! I loved your camping stories, it sounds like lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so agree with the last paragraph...we did spend more time concerned with things that didn't matter, but at that time that seemed to be life. We seem to all be seeing it now with different eyes.
    I love the flirting thing...I am sure I did that at this age to...but I didn't write it...I will have to for my kids!!!...that is admit I flirted.
    Enjoyed...visiting from Mommy Piggy Tale group 2

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all so much for stopping by and commenting. I think that these days its more common for girls to join boy scouts, but we continually marveled at the sexism of it all, we had an all girls boy scout group but a boy certainly wouldn't have been allowed into girl guides.

    Glad to hear everyone's early teenage years followed a similar vein...
    amber :)

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?