Sunday, August 29, 2010

Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Buckwheat Pancakes

I love breakfast.  I've always loved breakfast.  Before my gluten-free existence, I would relish  in the delicious laziness of a Sunday morning breakfast out; I nearly always ordered the eggs benny with chunky hashbrowns.  Despite my many breakfasts eaten in a restaurant, I can say with a fair amount of certainty that I never ordered just pancakes.  I've never really been a fan, in hindsight I'm sure it had to do with the fact that they are laden with gluten.

Ironically, since going gluten-free, pancakes are something I've been determined to master.  I've tried gluten-free pancake recipes and mixes and I've adapted traditional pancake recipes, but I've never managed to get quite the right blend to create a fluffy but stable gluten-free pancake.

This weekend however, I had success with these gluten-free buckwheat pancakes - the boy gobbled an entire one up in 5 minutes flat!  Aesthetically, they appear a little grey in colour, but in terms of texture and taste, these pancakes were amazing; fluffy and light and they didn't fall apart when I tried to eat them.  They are filling and nutritious and let me assure you, buckwheat is gluten-free (despite the fact that 'wheat' is in the name) and is a source of fibre, iron, potassium and protein.

I served these with Vegan Becel and blue agave syrup for the boy, which mean he gets all the buttery, sweetness without an unnecessary sugar spike or eczema-triggering dairy.

Gluten-Free Buckwheat Pancakes
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free
Buckwheat Pancakes
Ingredients:
3/4 cup buckwheat flour
1/4 cup potato starch
1/8 cup sugar
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp xantham gum

3/4-1 cup rice (or other non-dairy) milk
1 egg
1tsp baking soda
2 tbsp oil


Directions:
  • Whisk together buckwheat flour, potato starch, sugar, baking powder, salt and xantham gum. 
  • Mix together 3/4 cup rice milk, egg, baking soda and oil.
  • Add wet ingredients to dry and mix well - add additional rice milk as needed to get your desired consistency.
  • Heat non-stick pan over medium heat with a small amount of oil, margarine or PAM.
  • Pour batter by 1/4 cup onto hot pan and cook until bottom is browned and batter just begins to bubble, about 2 minutes.
  • Flip pancakes and cook another minute until cooked through.
  • Serve hot and enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. This looks delicious and somewhat low-carby...but I'm wondering where I would find xantham gum?...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandra - perhaps not totally low-carb, but I think its more nutritional that white flour! If you used half buckwheat and half regular flour, you would likely have good results without using xantham gum. Otherwise check out your local health food store or you can order it online from companies such as Bob's Red Mill. Hope that helps, if not, drop me an email mommastuffblog@gmail.com amber :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pancakes. Don't thin the batter too much, it makes the batter stick to the (steel) pan. A real treat for someone deprived for so long, who loved pancakes. Thanks so MUCH.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Anonymous, so glad you tried these out and that you had some success. I cook with a non-stick cast aluminum pan and haven't had any issues with sticking, but hopefully your hint re:steel pans will help other readers. You may also be interested in checking out my recent Quinoa Pancake Recipe http://www.mommastuffblog.com/2011/03/quinoapancakes.html my gluten-eating husband loves them even more!!
    Amber :)

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?