Monday, April 7, 2014

What I hear | City vs. Country

We used to live in the City; a large neighbourhood park, the bus and an elementary school were all within a 5 minute walk. The grocery store, the mall, the Skytrain and a 7-Eleven were all within a 15 minute walk. We were living the City life in our quaint little townhouse; our family, our friends and our lives all revolved around the Lower Mainland.

And then we took a chance on life. 

We now live in a little mining town with 2,500 people. The pub closes at 9pm regardless whether there’s a hockey game in progress, the grocery store doesn’t open until 9am, Bolt’s kindergarten class is anticipated to be 13 kids and although there are very few stores, one of them is a video rental shop (apparently they still exist).

So many things have changed and I struggle with where to start and what to share, but as I sat on my beautiful backyard deck yesterday, enjoying a sunny Sunday afternoon, I had an epiphany and knew exactly where to start; with my ears.

What I heard in my City Backyard:
  • Traffic and vehicles horns.
  • Emergency sirens.
  • School bells.
  • Asian Karaoke.
  • Drunk Teenagers.

 What I hear in my Country Backyard:
  • Birds chirping.
  • Leaves rustling.
  • Chopping wood.
  • Silence.
  • Nature.

 And I have to say, I’m feeling pretty good about this particular aspect of my new life.