Sunday, September 29, 2013

Taking Time for Mom and Dad

For the first time in over three years, the hubs and I had the opportunity to get away for the weekend with good friends and no children. As much as I love my little boys, to say Mom and Dad needed some time away is a major understatement.

Our weekend away was just what we needed; peace, tranquillity, good food and good people.

And I'm certain the grin on my face was huge when we came home to our two little men bounding towards us with hearts full of love and happiness.

It's amazing how much more connected the hubs and I feel, after hanging our Mom and Dad hats up, for just a few days. After four and a half years of parenthood we have days, even weeks where we barely talk. Our lives circle around the amazing little creatures we have the honour of raising into men, but in so many ways they strip us of ourselves. Of the people we fell in love with and the traits that make us unique.

I knew that a weekend away would help us find ourselves, but for some reason, I didn't expect that we would find each other.

And I'm so happy we did.

There's no way we're waiting that long for another weekend away.