Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Pirate Party Planning

I dislike party planning; I like parties, but the whole process of figuring out activities, food, decorations, not to mention cleaning my house, its just not for me.

My townhouse always seems crowded, loud and stuffy and despite my best efforts, everything seems disheveled. This year, I'm doing things differently.

We are NOT having the party at home; we are having a gymnastics party, where the kids will be entertained for a full hour.

We are keeping the party short; our facility rental is 2 hours, which is more than enough stimulus for a bunch of four year olds.

We are having two parties in one; my boys are 25 months apart and the thought of doing this all over again next month seems more than a little daunting. Instead we have a couple two year old joining in on the fun and we're calling it a joint party.

Pinterest is my saviour; I've been rounding up party ideas and inspiration and suddenly party planning is actually kind of fun.

I started off by sending out these invitations...

And this inspired me to make a treasure map that will double as schedule of events for the kiddos, because knowledge (and the illusion of control) in the midst of chaos is essential if we want to minimize meltdowns.

Although I can't draw myself, a guy at work happily doodled this treasure map, which we tea stained to give them an aged look.

And of course the kids need pirate hats. I considered these pins, but ended up going with this 3 pointed pirate hat pattern that I made using posterboard.



And I'm certain the kids are going to love 'Feeding the Croc' instead of the Shark...

Bolt loved making making treasure chest loot bags, similar to this...
|
And I really wanted to make a treasure chest for the loot box, but I kept forgetting to bring a file box home.


So what do you think? Am I just imagining it or is this party gonna rock?