Thursday, February 14, 2013

The Healthy Shopper

Eating healthy is hard. Not super impossible hard, but takes some effort and a little bit of planning hard. As you know I recently decided that it was time to get my eating habits under control. I loaded up on superfoods, participated in the Meghan Telpner Fab Detox and started to get my eating habits under control.

A few months ago when I was out grocery shopping I noticed The Healthy Shopper coupon book and was amazed how many of the coupons were for things I would and could actually use like gluten-free sauces, coconut milk and organic products. 

When I was invited to receive some product from The Healthy Shopper I was super excited and when I read the following quote I was simply inspired.

“We started the Healthy Shopper Picks to let consumers know that healthy choices are available in their own supermarket, and not just in health food stores – it’s all about reading labels and knowing what’s in your food,” said Boyer, co-founder of the Healthy Shopper.  

Have you tried any of these products? Have you seen them in your local stores?

Although there are a number of gluten-free tamari's available in stores, San-J
is my number one choice and I ALWAYS choose it over the other brands. It has a deep, rich flavour that is so much more intense (but not overpowering) than what I remember regular soya sauce to taste like. San-J gluten-free Tamari is fermented with corn rather than wheat, certified kosher, certified gluten-free anNon-GMO Project verified. Perhaps my favourite thing about San-J is that I find the price considerably better than the other gluten-free options.

Before I found out that Bolt was allergic to peanuts, San-J gluten-free Teriyaki sauce was a regular fixture in our house, in fact when my little brother realized his body was having trouble tolerating gluten, I promptly bought him a bottle for his gluten-free care package I was compiling for his birthday.  San-J has a number of gluten-free Asian cooking sauces including orange sauce, Szechuan sauce and a sweet and tangy sauce; unfortunately (for our family) they also have a peanut sauce and all the gluten-free sauces (except the Tamari) 'may contain peanuts' so we no longer eat them at our house.  That said, if you are gluten-free and peanuts aren't an issue for your family, San-J gluten-free sauces are amazing!

I'm also currently enjoying a wide selection of Simply Naturals salad dressing; I admit salad comprised entirely of vegetables isn't exactly my thing, but if you throw some quinoa, buckwheat or other nutritious grain into the mix, I'm all for it. Now that I have a cupboard stocked with delicious, organic gluten-free dressings (the Goddess dressing is the only one that contains gluten) grain salads come together in a flash. I've also been using the roasted garlic vinaigrette on my roasted potatoes and vegetables and the kids have been gobbling them up!

I'm also quite impressed with the quality and softness of the Natracare products I received in my Healthy Shopper kit. I'm really not sure why its taken me so long to realize that the products next to my sensitive nether regions should be both natural and organic. "Natracare products are made from certified organic and natural, plant-derived materials that are chemical and additive free, and biodegradable, containing only organic and natural ingredients sourced from sound ecologically managed producers and certified free from animal testing." Um, yes please.
Last but not least, I want to share a cool little book, Unjunk Your Junk Food which is devoted to helping everyone and anyone make better junk food choices. The book is divided into eleven chapters including chapters devoted entirely to chips, ice cream, cookies and of course, chocolate.

Each two page spread includes a photo, nutrition facts and ingredients for a bad choice on the left and a 'naturally savvy APPROVED' choice on the right. It de-mystifies and defines ingredients we see every day. For example did you know vanillin is an artificial flavour made from wood pulp (yuck) and it can be found in a variety of products, including Sun-Maid vanilla flavoured yogurt covered raisins?

If you are serious about getting your family's health in check and committed to making small changes that matter, then its time to check out The Healthy Shopper.

I received product in exchange for this post however, all opinions are my own.