Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Monster Cookies for Breakfast | a gluten-free, vegan, soy-free recipe

monster cookies
The first night that I arrived in Kamloops, I had an empty apartment and a NEED to bake. I needed to create something, to feel balanced and normal in the midst of a situation that was anything but. That night I make chocolate chip cookies; they were delicious and I ate them for a week, even when they got crumbly and stale.

Since that first night, I've been cooking, but I haven't really felt the urge to bake again until last night. I found myself leisurely perusing the pages of the few chosen cookbooks that aren't in storage but everything I felt even remotely inspired to make wasn't possible. I'm lacking much of my simple equipment from muffin pans to spatulas and my ingredient list is sparse to say the least.

Before the frustration kicked in however,  I remembered how simple and satisfying my monster cookies are to make and devour. A quick dig through the cupboards and I found all my little bags of goodies that I packed precisely for making these breakfast cookies.

This recipe comes together in a flash, requires only bowls, spoons and measuring cups and its completely customizable to your tastes and what you have on hand in your home.  

It's an adaptation from the ever fabulous Meghan Telpner's Breakfast Cookies that I have tweaked to suit my needs. I change up my add-ins depending on my mood but I always add the hemp hearts. They are a great boost of omega fats that will keep you (and your kids) full and I find when I eat a regular dose hemp hearts, my skin is happier and it plays a role in controlling my eczema. 

RESIST the temptation to add chocolate chips, I always want to, but never do, because I know they don't need them. Substitute what you have in your kitchen and what meets your dietary needs, these cookies will be fine if you use vegetable oil instead of coconut oil, if you don't have pure maple syrup, throw in some honey (that's what I did yesterday) and if you don't keep coconut sugar on hand, try a little bit of brown sugar. These cookies will be a little bit crumbly if you don't use the xantham gum, but I couldn't find mine yesterday and none of my coworkers complained when I brought them to our morning meeting. In fact, more than one of them asked for the recipe.

Be brave, go ahead and experiment a little, these cookies can handle it.

My kids dubbed these MONSTER COOKIES because they are so big and honestly, who doesn't want to eat a giant cookie for breakfast?

Monster Cookies
gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free, egg-free, vegan (can be nut free)
Ingredients:
  • 3/4 cup brown rice flour
  • 1/2 tsp xantham gum
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp sea salt
  • 1.5 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted and cooled
  • 2 tbsp ground chia seeds
  • 1/4 cup coconut milk
  • 2 Tbsp maple syrup
  • 1/2 cup coconut sugar
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 3/4 cup of gluten free oats
  • 1/4 cup quinoa flakes
  • 1/4 cup hemp hearts
  • 1/4 cup chopped raw almonds
  • 1/4 cup raw pepitas
  • 1/4 cup cocoa nibs
  • 1/4 cup dried cranberries
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 375 F.
  2. In a large bowl mix together brown rice flour, xantham gum, baking soda, sea salt and cinnamon. Set aside.
  3. In a seperate bowl mix together (or you can blend this to disperse the coconut oil more evenly) coconut oil, chia, coconut milk, maple syrup, coconut sugar and vanilla. Set aside.
  4. In a third bowl place the oats, quinoa flakes, hemp hearts, almonds, pepitas, cocoa nubs and cranberries and set aside. You don't need to mix this.
  5. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and use a wooden spoon to stir thoroughly. This will be thick, do NOT add more fluids.
  6. Add the bowl of oats and add in goodies. Stir, stir, stir. The batter should be thick and a little sticky.
  7. Scoop batter a 1/4 cup at a time and place onto a parchment lined cookie sheet. Press down lightly with the back of a spoon, or use moist hands to shape.
  8. Bake your cookies for 12 minutes or until lightly browned.
  9. Allow to cool completely (or they will fall apart).
  10. Eat COOKIES for BREAKFAST!
YIELD: 8 monster cookies

Other add-in ideas: goji berries, raisins, chopped dried apricots, sunflower seeds, chopped dates, sesame seeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?