Saturday, April 6, 2013

Chocolate Zucchini Flax Muffins

Chocolate Zucchini Flax Muffins
I recently realized I hadn't posted a recipe in ages, and for that I apologize. I promise you I'm always gluten-free baking and these days, I have no shortage of helpers.
Toddler Task #1
I found this recipe for zucchini flax muffins and using it as a base I was amazed at the soft fluffly muffins I created. In my mind, zucchini and chocolate go hand in hand so I adapted the recipe just a little bit more until I had a recipe that that's so good I've had more than one person tell me they never would have known it was gluten-free.
He thinks measuring spoons are for mixing
These muffins come together quickly, they are soft, springy and delightful in your mouth and I promise you even if you have an energy-filled two year old helping you out every step of the way, they will still be delicious!
Zucchini Flax Muffins

Chocolate Zucchini Flax Muffins
(gluten-free, dairy-free, nut-free, soy-free)
adapted from Zucchini, Banana and Flaxseed Muffins by Martha Stewart

Ingredients:

  • 1-1/4 cup gluten-free flour mix (I'm in LOVE with this one)
  • 1/2 cup cocoa powder
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup ground flaxseed
  • 2 tsp baking soda
  • 2 tsp baking powder divided 
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1-1/2 cup grated zucchini (~1 large)
  • 1/3 cup ripe banana
  • 3/4 cup coconut milk
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 tsp vanilla
Directions
Delicious
  1. Preheat oven to 350F and line or grease muffin tins.
  2. In a small bowl mash the banana, mix with 1 tsp of baking powder and set aside.
  3. In a large bowl whisk together the gluten-free flour, cocoa powder, brown sugar, flaxseed, baking soda, the other tsp of baking powder and salt.
  4. In a medium bowl whisk together the banana baking soda mixture, zucchini, coconut milk, egg and vanilla.
  5. Gently stir the wet mixture into the dry being careful not to overmix.
  6. Scoop muffin tins 3/4 full and bake for 20-25 minutes until top is firm and springs back from a light touch.
  7. Cool completely on a wire rack and enjoy!
Yield: 15 muffins
Makes 30 mini-muffins, bake for 13-15 minutes.

Update: I accidently ommitted the flax from the recipe, but it has now been updated with the correct quantities. My apologies. a :) 08 April 2013