Saturday, September 24, 2011

Campfires, Marshmallows and Memories

Although we've been back home for a week, and I was so ready to be in my own home, my own bathroom and my own bed, it doesn't mean I didn't love every moment of my vacation.
campfire
Although I loved every giggle, smile and moment I shared with my baby boys, perhaps my favourite moments were sitting around the campfire with the hubs.  Given the time of year, the campground was near deserted and we had a chance to be together, just the two of us, without the distractions of life, in particular the electronic distractions.
s'mores
I was digging the old school campfire recipes, over the week I made both chocolate chip bananas and stuffed apples in the fire and of course we had to indulge in some s'mores. Since we didn't have any gluten-free graham crackers on hand, I improvised and used gluten-free Kinnitoos (mmm mmm good) to make my s'mores.  They were a bit on the sweet side, but there's something about the crunch that really makes it; these were much more delicious than my usual method of simply stuffing the chocolate inside the roasted marshmallow.

the hubs Long before the hubs and I were married, we camped.  And when we camped, we always ate s'mores.  So having these nostalgia filled moments with him simply reminds me that even though we now go by the names mom and dad, not everything has changed.

Do you have a special ritual that reminds you of your life before children?