Tuesday, August 23, 2011

'Low & Slow' Kale Chips | Recipe

Full of vitamin C, beta-carotene, calcium and antioxidants its no surprise that Kale is often touted as a superfood.  My mom always told me the darker the green, the healthier the vegetable and kale certainly lives up to her expectations.
kale chips
Healthy however, does not always equal delicious, particularly when it comes to thick leafy greens like kale and although I'll admit that I didn't love my attempt at a kale smoothie, kale chips are amazing.  In fact both the boy and the hubs (who initially told me kale was only good for lining deli cases) gobble them up whenever I make them.

There are many recipes for kale chips available online and they are all very similar.  Unfortunately, virtually none of them worked for me.  Perhaps I don't have the precision required to cook these greens at high temperatures; every time I tried, no matter how many times I checked on them, they tasted burnt.  In fact, I was so disappointed in my attempts, I almost gave up, but instead I decided to try the 'low and slow' method and was ecstatic with the results.

Light, crispy, salty and delicious, kale chips are a total hit at our house.

You can play around with both the shape and saltiness of your chips, I've seen beautiful photos of long skinny 'chips', but I prefer small bite size pieces.  Not only are they easier to make, the boy has a tendency to crush at least a few pieces, which leaves kale shrapnel all over him, the high chair and the floor and quite simply, smaller pieces equal less mess.
kale chips
'Low and Slow' Kale Chips

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 bunch of kale
  • Grapeseed or Olive oil
  • Sea Salt
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 250F.
  2. Place the kale upside down and separate the leafy greens from the central rib.
  3. Tear the leafy greens into bite size pieces and place on a cookie sheet.
  4. Sprinkle greens with oil and toss until all the pieces are lightly coated.
  5. Sprinkle oiled greens with sea salt and toss the greens again then spread out evenly on the baking sheet.  For best results minimize overlap of kale.
  6. Bake for 20 minutes or until greens are light and crispy, if the greens start to turn a light brown colour they are burning, remove them from the oven immediately.
  7. Enjoy!