Wednesday, December 29, 2010

We're on Team Green

 After 21 weeks of waiting, we finally saw our newest little baby today, and he (or she) was perfect.  The baby was healthy, perfectly sized for the age and had the cutest little feet (I'd show you a picture, but my scanner wasn't cooperating this evening).  As you can see, it appears this time around we have a thumb-sucker; we could even see the little jaw moving during the ultrasound.
When people find out I'm pregnant, the first questions are almost always 'when are you due?' and 'do you know what you're having?'.  The answer to the first question is easy, May 9, 2011.  But when it comes to the second question, the answer isn't so clearcut.

Before I was ever pregnant I was certain I wouldn't want to know the gender, that I'd want to do things the 'old fashioned way', but when the time came with the boy, the mere fact that the technology was available and I COULD find out, made me want to.  In the end we decided to have the gender included in the report so that we could ask the midwife if we decided that we just had to know.  We were able to convince ourselves since we were over half way through the pregnancy there was less time left to wait than we already had, and we never found out.  When the boy arrived, the surprise was amazing.

Although the hubs likened finding out the baby's gender to peeking at Christmas presents, not finding out our babies' gender is about more than the suprise for us.  I have heard so many stories of ultrasound gender diagnosis being wrong and although its generally shy little boys being identified as girls, I recently had a friend deliver a little girl after being told her baby was a boy.

And its not just about the colour of the nursery or having to dress a little boy in ruffly sleepers, its the emotional aspect that freaks me out.  As new mom's we're a little crazy; our bodies have been through a fairly traumatic experience, we've barely had any sleep for days and the baby radar is on high alert.  The last thing that I want to add to the mix is emotional drama; the need to mourn (in some sense) for the child that was expected, regardless how much love there is for the child that arrived.

It's the extra emotions that scare me the most, so when they asked us if we wanted to find out the gender at our ultrasound today, I was quick to respond, no.  We're on team green in this house.

Did you or would you find out the gender of your baby?  Why or why not?  It's such an interesting topic and the tech today told me in her experience its about 50/50, so I'd love to hear everyone's opinion and/or experience.

3 comments:

  1. My husband was adamant that we find out the gender, I was adamant that we not. He won, we found out. It actually ended up being easier for us. And the doctor who read the ultrasound has a 100% accuracy rate in 30 years of practice. So, that made it more comforting.

    As soon as my boy came out I asked the doctor if his accuracy rate was still 100% and he told me it was. haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, congratulations!


    When I was pregnant with my first, I had to know the gender. I'm such a planner and I don't like surprises! When my daughter was born, my 1st question was, "She is a girl, right?"

    With my 2nd pregnancy, I had to find out... mainly this time because I needed to know if I was having another girl (and would therefore be able to use all the "girl" baby items I already had) or if I had to go buy "boy" stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats, congrats!

    We have four children and didn't find out with any. Although I am a planner in all aspects of my life, we decided to not find out. I loved, LOVED the suspense and anticipation and made the birth process so much more exciting and intense. We had three girls followed by a boy in 11/10.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?