Saturday, October 2, 2010

The boy's first babysitter

Last night, the hubs, my sister and I all went to see Jack Johnson and I can say with absolute certainty, Jack is a favourite in our house.  I've seen him four times in concert, I walked down the aisle to 'better together' and even the boy is almost instantly soothed by Jack Johnson's music.



The concert was good, not my favourite live appearance but definitely enjoyable.  In truth, it seemed weird seeing him in an indoor venue, there's something so much more personal about listening to his folky music in the great outdoors.  We bought the boy a concert tee to match his concert onsie we bought at the last concert, when he was still safe inside my belly.

Speaking of the boy, what was notable about this particular night, is that it was his first time at home with a babysitter.  Granted he was asleep when we left & asleep when we got home (I'm sure it was the easiest $50 bucks she ever made), but she did partake in the nighttime routine; read him his books, gave him his bottle and put him to bed.

And he did great.  He didn't seem to mind that she was putting him to bed, he didn't cry or whine or anything.  He just settled in and went to sleep like he always does.  Momma was so proud.

I've been saying forever that I wanted to start introducing the boy to a babysitter, but I just haven't done it.  I know that taking time to enjoy myself separate from my role as a parent is a good thing, that its beneficial for the entire family, but then why is it so hard to actually do?

How old is your little one?  Do you use a babysitter?  If so, how old was your little one when you first left him/her with a babysitter?  I'm hoping now that we've had one successful evening with the babysitter it will be easier to do it again.  Perhaps the hubs and I could even try having a date night - what a concept.

If you have a second, please stop in and check out our current giveaways:
Stride Everyday Panties (closes October 17)

12 comments:

  1. My daughter is 20 months old. She has never been left with someone we've had to pay to baby-sit. As long as my husband and I carefully choose the places we want to go and give ample warning time, either of our moms will watch our daughter. Or, if we go away for the weekend (which we've done a few times now), they'll split the time. We're very lucky to have both of our moms in town and willing to help out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin - like you, we are so fortunate to have family around that are both willing and happy to watch the boy.

    Jill - Wow, you've had help since 10 weeks? Does your nanny come daily? I guess you didn't have the luxury of family or a year off with pay so you would have needed a solution quick and early. Living in Canada we are so spoiled!

    I'm really glad we took the plunge and had the babysitter over - the boy's been going to daycare 2 days a week to ensure he's getting non-one-on-one care and the opportunity for social interaction, but I really think this was another big step!
    Amber :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like Erin, I'm lucky enough to have both grandmothers on hand to help watch my girls. I would have a really hard time finding and choosing a sitter that wasn't family. How nerve wracking that must be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My son is 2 and it is easy for us to hire a babysitter when it's our niece ;) I am one of 5 siblings and one is always eager to watch him. I think we are very blessed in that respect.
    PS jealous that you saw him in concert.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so good to hear you had some time off! It is hard to leave your little ones for the first little while but it gets easier!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Last year was the very first time we left our kids with someone other than my mother-in-law. They are 10-8-6-and almost 4. It is so nice to have a babysitter that the kids like and nice to get out with my husband. I'm stopping by from FMIC.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't have any words to appreciate this post.....I am really impressed ....the person who created this post surely knew the subject well..thanks for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for all the comments ladies - I'm so happy to hear that I'm not the only one that struggles with this - though it does reinforce just how lucky we are to have family so close that is both available and willing to help out with childcare!! Amber :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. First I would like to appriciate you for the valuable information sharing with us. Thanks for making informative blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for taking the time to discuss this,would you mind updating your blog with additional information? It is extremely helpful for me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic post! This could aid lots of people find out about this matter.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?