Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Memories 2: Preschool/Kindergarten

I watch as the teacher carefully pours the smooth, silky liquid into the jar, then seals it up tight.  She tells us its whipping cream, just like we eat at home, but if we are patient, it will become butter.  It seems ridiculous, even to a kindergartner; it looks like milk, not butter.  But as we passed that little jar around the circle, each eagerly awaiting our chance to gleefully shake the jar, it started to transform and we started to believe.

It's so easy to believe when we're young.  We believe in Santa and we believe in the good of the world and we believe in ever-lasting fairy-tale love.  Don't get me wrong, I still believe in those things but when we're young, we have the veil of innocence.

My gramma didn't bake cookies with us, and I never remember being invited over for a sleepover, but I do remember one specific lunch at her house.  It was sunny, and I was at the table.  She must have been bringing lunch to the table because I remember her walking around as I told her I was married.  That I absolutely LOVED a particular boy in my class and that we would be together forever.  I don't remember her response particularly, but I do remember her wise smile as I'm sure she marveled at my naivety.

If you look closely, you might notice that my front teeth look a little shiny in this picture; I have silver caps on my front teeth.  As a result of my sickness as a child, I had no enamel on my teeth and thus they all needed to be capped.  The white caps just didn't stick on those front two teeth and so began my life with silver caps.  They add a certain sparkle to my smile don't you think?

The last memory I have from my preschool/kindergarten years is of art.  I'm not particularly artistic, I like instruction and boundaries but painting with marbles in a tin can, that was amazing.  The freedom and randomness of shaking the cookie tin and hearing the tiny marbles leave their magical trails of colour all over paper circles ready to take home and be hung on the fridge.

Thinking about being so young, so eager to learn and experience life, it excites me.  It reminds me that the hubs, the boy and I have so many adventures to come.  Although I want to hold onto every moment with the boy, I look forward to each and every step in our journey together.

This is post 2/15 and is part of Mommy's Piggy Tales 
Make sure you check out all the other great posts here!

7 comments:

  1. What fun memories! I've made butter with my kids this way before and they loved it. Looking forward to hearing more in the weeks to come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great memories! I remember making butter in grade school & stone soup. Enjoy your son while being little, they grow up way too fast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know you could do that with cream in a jar. That's really neat and a great way to start your story. I love your picture you are sooo happy! I didn't even notice your teeth. What did kids say about them? Did they think they were neat or were they not very nice?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mom2Three - There are so many simple ways to entertain ourselves isn't there? Forget video games, lets make butter! :D

    Thanks Denise - what's stone soup?

    Pepper - I was pretty oblivious over all, and don't remember the other kids saying much about my teeth, but I do remember one boy who used to call me metal-mouth!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh it excites me too! I love your poetic expression! I love the innocence too. I love all the optimism and passion in this post.

    That marble project sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all the positive feedback Janna!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such sweet memories, and yes, kids are so easy to impress at this age!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?