Saturday, July 10, 2010

Gluten-Free Oatmeal Chip Cookies

gluten-free oatmeal chip cookie recipe
The first time I made cookies I was about 11, I decided that I wanted to make some peanut butter cookies to take to girl guides, or a class party or some other event.  I diligently followed the recipe and was devestated when the cookies came out hard as a rock and jet black on the bottom.  Apparently no one told me I shouldn't use my Mom's old chicken-cooking, cookie sheets to make cookies.

I tried again the next day and had much more success.  Once I bit into that first delicious morsel I was sold.  For just a little bit of work, I could have delicious treats that tasted so much better than anything store-bought.  Not to mention the praise that I received from my family who gobbled up my cookies.  I made cookies once a week for years after that, usually on Friday and often more than one batch.

When I went gluten-free three years ago, I missed cookies.  I tried a lot of recipes, including this one from Gluten-Free Girl and this one from Ginger Lemon Girl, which were both delicious but not quite what I was looking for.  I found both of the recipes yielded gritty, grainy and crumbly cookies.  Over the years, I have followed cookie recipes exactly, I have adjusted cookie recipes and I have adapted my own recipes, but I'm sad to say that I still hadn't found a gluten-free cookie recipe that I couldn't resist.

Until this week.

I had a realization that although I had tried many recipes, I often used substitutions such as applesauce for some of the butter, and perhaps some agave for the sugar to try and combat the dry crumbliness and increase the nutritional value.  Now that I think about it however, I suspect this fundamental change was also part of the reason that my gluten-free cookies never truly seemed to 'hit the spot' like the gluten-full cookies of my past.

At 9pm on Wednesday night, I decided to make full-fat, full-sugar gluten-free chocolate chip oatmeal cookies.  They turned out amazing, in fact the hubs has helped me eat quite a few of them (and he usually avoids gluten-free treats except when they are fresh).  I think I'm going to need to throw some in the freezer pretty quickly for fear of getting fat!  These are seriously delicious and taste just like regular oatmeal chip cookies.  If you're craving gluten-free cookies, you HAVE to try them!

gluten-free oatmeal chip cookie recipe

Gluten-Free Oatmeal Chip Cookies 

(adapted from Company's Coming: Cookies by Jean Pare)

Ingredients:
  • 2/3 cup white rice flour
  • 2/3 cup cornstarch
  • 1/3 cup tapioca starch
  • 1/3 cup millet flour
  • 1 tsp xantham gum
  • 1-1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 cup softened butter, margarine or shortening
  • 2 cups brown sugar, packed
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 3/4 cup unsweetened conconut
  • 2 cups gluten-free rolled oats
  • 2 cups chocolate chips
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350F and lightly grease your cookie sheets or lay down your silicone mat.  (My silpat mat worked way better than PAM spray)
  2. In a medium bowl, mix the dry ingredients together (excluding coconut, oatmeal and chips), use a whisk for even mixing and the addition of a little bit of air.
  3.  Cream butter and sugar together until smooth. 
  4. Beat in the eggs one at a time, add vanilla and stir in.
  5. Add the previously mixed dry ingredients and mix well.
  6. Add the oats and coconut, mix well.
  7. Add the chocolate chips and mix well.
  8. Drop by tablespoons onto the prepared pan.
  9. Bake for 13-15 minutes, until cookies are golden.
  10. Immediatley transfer cookies to a cooling rack.
  11. Try not to eat too many at once!! 
yield: 5-6 dozen cookies
    I just want to note that not all gluten-free folks can handle oats, even if they are gluten-free.  If you are gluten-free and haven't tested your system with oats, proceed with caution and consume only a small quantity the first few times to see how your body responds.

    This recipe can be made dairy-free depending on your choice of fat (I really like golden shortening for my cookies, but I'm trying to eliminate soy from the boys diet, so I went with butter) and your choice of chocolate chips.

    4 comments:

    1. Thanks! I just received a test result saying that I should be mostly gluten-free. I was not happy. I love baked goods. Oatmeal cookies sound good though!

      Also, a side note. Spectrum just started making a shortening that's all palm oil (no soy or GMO). I got it from Food Lion the other day. Worth a try!

      ReplyDelete
    2. Hi Kelly Jo - good luck with your diagnosis, I promise you that going gluten-free does get easier. I haven't tried spectrum shortening, but have heard good things about it, I'll have to pick some up to try!!
      Amber :)

      ReplyDelete
    3. Hi,

      I'm new to the gluten-free world, as well as sugar & dairy free. Although I have recently tried out your receipe for gluten-free beer battered fish, and simply loved it, I thought I'd return to see what sweet receipes I could try out next.

      Being on a cookie kick lately, I quickly noticed your receipe for "full fat, full sugar oatmeal chocolate chip cookies". They looked really interesting, but I couldn't help but wonder why anyone would go to such great lenghts to eliminate flours & dairy, but still make a decision to add re-fined sugars? That is like so crazy to me....but anywho, I enjoy your blog none-the-less. The beer battered fish receipe is now my "go-to" receipe, after sampling many other's, which include my own versions.....*sigh*

      ReplyDelete
    4. Hi Anonymous, thanks for your comments and I'm so glad you liked the Fish and Chips, I was just thinking I needed to bribe my Dad into making some with me soon. As for my choice to use refined sugars, we removed gluten, dairy, soy and nuts due to allergies/intolerances, since we have no issues with sugar, I have chosen to continue using them. That said I have done some experimentation with Agave and often use it when I cook for my kiddos, however when all the other traditional ingredients are omitted, sometimes swapping out the sugar is just 'too much' and the recipe doesn't survive. Good luck in your journey and please let me know if you are looking for something specific in terms of recipes! Amber :)

      ReplyDelete

    What do you think?